A A E P

When I meditate, and as I go through this journey of spirituality and watercolor which inevitably leads to self-discovery, I am finding more and more that following these principles in this order is essential in everything. 

A A E P

Awareness - Acceptance - Equanimity - Perfection

I am still striving for the next level - to be a better person, a better artist - but the awareness of where I am right now is key. Right now, in this moment, I am aware of where I am. I accept where I am (which does not undermine the striving and the Big Plan for the future). I need to be equanimous with what I have discovered about where I am - not disappointed/dejected nor ecstatic/complacent - it is only in this moment that it is where I am. And finally, this moment is perfect. It is where I am meant to be in this moment. As they say, the present moment is inevitable.

I catch myself thinking I love doing value studies - when will I ever get to the next thing? It is important to enjoy those value studies because that is what I want to do in the moment. With the passion for it comes the growth. And nothing is wasted! Each value study I do, if I do it whole- heartedly, without wanting to rush through it to get to the next thing, will bring learning and understanding. I have to be there with it, to get the utmost out of it.

I was so thrilled to discover a weekly online class that doesn't start with technique, or trying to copy the artist's style. We started with value studies, analyzing the resource material for inclusion and elimination - and I am enjoying the class thoroughly (if not somewhat for the fact that it validates my own need to do value studies!).

Here is my first assignment for that class - value studies in the order that I did them, refining and eliminating shapes that were too scattered.

                            5x7 painted value study                                5x7 graphite value study

1/4 sheet - eeks!

resource photo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven