Color

Lately, I've been fascinated by color, and had the realization that I would like to try to be a colorist. To me, that means working with colors that work very well together, and not necessarily what one sees in the scene or reality. I am reading Stephen Quiller's "Color Choices" book, and have decided to systematically do all the exercises in that book, no matter how basic they may seem at the outset. I did the first three, and learned a lot - to the point that I was amazed at how basic they seemed when I read them, how I almost bypassed them, and what I actually got out of doing them.

I am also so very taken by Patti Mollica's work. Her YouTube on "Bending Reality" blew me away - the way she crops what she wants to use from a mundane scene, changes all the colors, keeps the value pattern strong, and creates this impactful and mindblowing acrylic - wow! And I am typically not drawn to mediums other than watercolor. Another artist, Doug Dawson, who works in pastel, also uses color schemes to create his art - and that is what I want to try to do with watercolor, letting blooms and watermarks have their way on a strong value pattern with a strong color scheme.

This all started to come together as I realized I could use two colors (a complementary pair) to create small paintings, instead of using Payne's Grey for doing value studies (which I love to do). That way, I learn about all the semi-neutrals that come with mixing the two colors, learn how to fade out the colors for lighter values, which I seem to know to do with Payne's Grey but freeze when I am handling color, learn how to make my focal point important by using value, and more importantly, intensity. I also want to learn more about color temperature, and it all goes hand in hand - intensity, temperature, hue - and semi-neutrals. So much to learn. The more I dig, the more I find.

This was done en plein air - it is Chef Chu's in Los Altos. I used two colors: Viridian and Permanent Rose, and this was a first pass - as a value study would have been. I love the little white car and how its windows connect with the dark storefront of the restaurant.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven