Style and studies

I am still trying to find my style - I hear it develops automatically over time, and you cannot search for it or "find" it. I do pause when I like a painting to see what it is about the painting I like. I love architectural subjects but I don't like every painting that features a building. I love transparent layers like Iain Stewart's work (and his color palette) but I also like Charles Reid's alla prima "one shot" style of painting. I do like a strong value foundation, but also appreciate high key paintings that have a lot of white space (Mel Stabin). Maybe it is the confidence I can see/feel in the painting, before the appeal of the subject?

I am continuing to look for "ordinary" images and trying to do value studies and focus on my path of white, then apply color. I did the following in the layers' style, as well as the alla prima style (hardly washing the brush, just letting colors flow into another, keeping the values the same). I am trying to understand which I like among them and why.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven