Watching DVDs

In this lockdown, I have decided to paint more on my own - be it going out for plein air (harder to do without a companion) or at home (harder to do anyway :-(  ). I cleaned up my desk after my last project and I put my tabletop easel on the wiped-down surface. Now, from across the room, I feel the tidiness invites me - the easel with a blank sheet of watercolor paper, a clean bowl of water, and paints and brushes set up on the right. Now I don't need to set up from scratch and only need to know what to paint.
Which isn't always easy.
Typically watching YouTube videos of artists I like inspires me to no end. Who better, then, than Charles Reid? My artist teacher-cum-friend Bill Dunn mailed me two DVDs from his personal collection to watch during this quiet time. One of them isn't available in any library, nor through Link+. It is Charles Reid's English Watercolour Sketchbook. I loved watching it, and was inspired to paint like him - alla prima - and not in layers. I did these from some pictures I took in Cuesta Park some months ago. My hand is not as light and watery as his. I also feel the background tree is too strong and needs to be in a different plane. But I am pleased with the pattern on the page. I do think I need to give it another go though, to fix what needs fixing.
Maybe a black and white value study is in order to work out the shapes first - and have a light tree with dark shadows to define the highlights on the man's right side, and the dog.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven