This complete moment

Today's morning meditation and, in particular, a couple of lines, struck me:

Just as you breathe, and let the breath go, then the next one comes, in, out, let it go, let life's events come and go the same way. Don't hold on, just like you don't hold on to the breath.

I don't think about the breaths that have passed, nor do I think about the breaths that will come in an hour. Why, then, do I not paint the same way?
I find I focus a lot on the future - specifically getting into big shows - and I paint with that in mind. I also paint bigger with that in mind, and I don't think I am ready to be that big just yet. When I am not thinking of all that, I paint well, instinctively. When all that takes over, my instinct goes for a toss and I paint under various kinds of pressure.

If I could just focus on today, this moment, and focus on what there is to learn, what I am lacking in - then I could master that one task at a time, and trickle it to my paintings. When multiple elements have been mastered, or substantially improved upon, will I not be painting better automatically? When I think about it, really get down to it, there are many art basics that are not yet so basic to me. I still struggle with
value patterns....dark linkages....light linkages.....eye passage....color.....vignette vs. painting.....composition....
With this much to do, learn, read about, why do I focus on the future and the masterpiece that I will do one day? Why not simply master the present? Just like the breath, the present moment is complete in itself - the knowledge and ability I have today, in this moment, is complete. It is my best, in this moment.

Om Poornamadah Poornamidam Poornat Poornamudachyate,
Poornasya Poornamaadaya Poornamevavashishyate,
Om Shanti Shanti Shantihi

That is wholeness. This is wholeness. From that wholeness this wholeness arises. 
When this wholeness is taken away from that wholeness, wholeness alone remains.

Om Peace, Peace, Peace

This is a small watercolor I did of Chef Chu's, in Los Altos. I am always struck by the red awning and the other splashes of red. I need to do another one, with the daily man patiently standing outside the door, next to a table of to-go orders, ready for pick-up. In this time of Covid19, that is the best they can do too - in this moment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven