Traffic and Matboards

On one of the evenings, returning from Capitola, there was a traffic jam on Highway 17. Such a pretty highway, with towering pine forests on both sides. It always reminds me of parts of Oregon. The windy 8-mile portion where traffic should be slow but zooms - is my favorite part of the drive. I feel a sudden alertness that I am about to witness great beauty. I open my sunroof and inhale the forest.
I took a photo of the stopped cars and the greenery beyond, and did these paintings a few days later. See how the whites catch your eye - whether they are big or small. So it is important to plan them - to serve the eye which will follow them anyway. And to manipulate it :-)
A couple of these were painted on the matboard windows that were cut out for the custom mats. I had them lying around, and used them for these quick paintings. They've been quite handy for other purposes too - I used them to make my architectural model for the new house that I am designing. Everything can be useful somewhere. That is something that has not changed since I was a child. I have trouble throwing away anything - who knows when I might need it.
I like the first painting the best, though the white is badly placed, too low and too small, and a "bull's-eye." I like the suggestion of cars in the second - the odd white shapes with the red tail-lights.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven