Paintbrush

Speaking of Charles Reid - a funny series of events happened that needed to happen to lead me to their inevitable conclusion. These events are listed in chronological order, but not in order of when/how I realized them and their importance and role in what happened later, if that makes any sense at all.

Event 1: I received a 40% off coupon from Lenz Arts when I checked in to the Capitola plein-air event on the morning of Day 1 (October 30).

Event 2: I lost a paintbrush - my favorite Escoda Prado synthetic round 14 - the first one I bought when I started painting 3 years ago - recommended by Karen Bieber. I thought I lost it in Capitola on Day 1 but I looked and looked and couldn't find it. I then realized I *could* have lost it in the previous paintsite, Sawyer Camp Trail, almost a whole week prior - unlikely for me to not have missed it at home. Or, I lost it at home. I should look harder again at home. It will be very silly if I find it at home after all this ... though it is most welcome to be hiding anywhere at home.

Event 3: On the day of the Capitola show, Day 5 (November 3), I was admiring the work of Bonnie Carver and talking to her and asking her about the flowy looseness of vivid watercolor in her paintings and she said the paintings paint themselves (!) because of the brush she uses. What brush?, I asked. Oh, the one Charles Reid recommends...recommended. Have you heard of Charles Reid?
Have *I* heard of Charles Reid?!
She said he recommended a Kolinsky sable and she bought that.

Event 4: I looked through my workshop checklist from last September (2018) and dug up the brush he recommended. He says so very sweetly in that checklist, "I wish you could manage a Kolinsky sable round - the da Vinci Maestro is great."

Event 5: I sold two paintings and made some money which made me feel wealthy enough to splurge on a sable.

Event 6: I received, right at the end, almost as an afterthought, an envelope with a gift-card worth $50 for the Honorable Mention from Lenz Arts.

The conclusion? I need a new brush. I have a 40% off, and I have $50 off from Lenz Arts. I did the calculations and decided I needed a 14 sable, the one Charles Reid recommends. So I bought it.

My after-the-event Capitola paintings and this painting of the Pulgas Water Temple (which I almost didn't go to as it was so sadly described by a couple of people at the Sawyer Camp Trail paintsite, and where I *might* have lost the famous synthetic round that started this chain of events) were all done with my new round 14 Kolinsky, which I check for every time I think of it - do I have it safely? - when I leave anywhere.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven