Capitola...reprise

I've been going through all the photos I took in Capitola during the plein-air event, and have been inspired to continue to paint scenes from there. Here are a few I have done since my return from Capitola. I have found that I am bolder with my shapes and my brushstrokes, and am starting to see more essence than reality, foregoing the details and minutae. And I do less of searching for the perfect view and more of making a better painting from the view I see, THAN the view I see. Four days of intense painting caused this transformation. It is akin to where 100 hours of meditation over 10 days takes you - so so much farther compared to where an hour a day will get you.




This is similar to the painting I sold at the event but in a different color palette. 
The silhouette of the wharf just demands to be painted, with the 
lace-like gaps of light shining through the piers. And that flag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven