Anything

I love some paintings that I see - I have a visceral reaction to them, and when I analyze them, I realize they are very ordinary scenes made extraordinary by colors and treatment alone, and that I am not at all curious to see the reference material, that it could not possibly be as good as this painting. The actual subject is secondary.

Art must take reality by surprise.
Francois Sagan

So, rather than spend time looking for a perfect scene (and naturally assuming the ensuing watercolor will be perfect too - hah!), I need to spend time painting the ordinary, and creating extraordinary art.
It is a huge revelation.
Even if the painting does not turn out extraordinary, the practice of painting is always a good thing, and of course, not dismissing what drew me to the ordinary scene in the first place, and just trying to paint something that attracted me.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven