Studies

Sometimes, after a series of studies, a bigger painting just doesn't work out. It is discouraging, but if it stays in my mind as a composition, for the shapes or the color palette, even for the name I may already have given it (!), then it deserves to be tried again, maybe after a few days or weeks.

This is a lovely temple - San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin - that I have painted before. In this view, I envisaged the temple in mostly cool neutrals offsetting a monk coming down the steps, dressed conveniently and complementarily in orange, with an orange umbrella. I did a few studies - here they are. The larger painting (not shown) didn't work out - I think impatience was the reason, or perhaps pressure to succeed. Both terrible ingredients. When it does happen, it will be called "Walking Meditation."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven