Serendipity

Today, Thursday, was a paintsite day with the watercolor group. Finally, finally, finally, after looking at the Chinese tower of Maryknoll from the freeway - almost daily, I glance to see what the shadows are doing, and almost daily, I wonder how to get that viewpoint from a place other than whizzing past on a freeway - Maryknoll was today's scheduled paintsite. Though I knew that I wouldn't get quite that freeway view, I was nevertheless excited to be painting architecture.
Here is the painting - I didn't even paint that tower. I was stunned by this view as I took the steps up to the Maryknoll campus from the parking lot. I should have played up the mediums and darks to bring out the beauty of the tops of the curved walls getting direct sunlight which is what drew me. I should have designed my shapes and assigned better values - this looks washed out, though I am happy with the color harmony, and the gentleness of it.
While I was painting, a man who lives in this retirement community came by and admired my painting. He then got his own acrylic painting from his room to show me. His name was Joe Hermes - and he said "Hermes as in Greek messenger."


When I checked my email later in the day, I found my daily subscription to A-Word-A-Day. Today's word of the day was:

A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

hermeneutic

PRONUNCIATION:
(hur-muh-NOO/NYOO-tik) 

MEANING:
adjective: Interpretive or explanatory.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek hermeneutikos (of interpreting), from hermeneuein (to interpret), from hermeneus (interpreter). After Hermes in Greek mythology, who served as a messenger and herald for other gods, and who himself was the god of eloquence, commerce, invention, cunning, theft, and more. Earliest documented use: 1678..
Other words that Hermes has given us are hermaphroditehermetic, and herm.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Design- vs. content-driven

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration