Alaska Watercolor Society ... and a story

I had a painting accepted into this juried show - the juror was no other than Frank Eber. Only 25 paintings were accepted. I was so thrilled, so honored. When I got accepted, I wondered if the 50-word description they required for each submission helped enhance my entry. I enjoyed writing this description - it made me think about the whys, and it gives the viewer a little story to go along with the painting, instead of just the title.

I was responding to the cold weather when I chose the color palette for this architectural subject. I welcomed the bright sun for enhancing the brilliant whites of the building, which I left unpainted, but did little to warm me as I painted this en plein air.

Going forward, I am thinking I will use such a 50-word story to describe my work. Just the title doesn't seem enough. Just a few days ago, just the location in the title wasn't enough. Now, even a clever title doesn't seem enough! How things evolve. Each day brings a new perspective, a new change, a new growth, a new raison d'etre. We are so convinced of the right way to do something one day, can see no other way, or dismiss other ways, and then discover ourselves a different way just a few days later. Our own realization of this, no doubt, is easier to accept than someone telling us. All the more reason to listen more carefully when someone tells us! To "wear our opinions more lightly," as Sarah Napthali says in "Buddhism for Mothers." Also, I read a quote which was so wise, and helps explain that there is no reason to regret anything you did in the past - at that time, it was the best thing you could do, with all the information you had. A more positive way of seeing this is in this quote:

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, 
which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
 --- Alexander Pope, poet (21 May 1688-1744)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven