A ready subject

I am most excited to paint when I know *what* I'm going to paint, even if it is a demo/tutorial from a book. It gives me an objective. Otherwise, I sit down to paint with no idea, no inspiration, no starting point - and it is days like these in which painting is left to the panicky end of the day. When I know what I'd like to paint, I'm usually excited enough that I get it in early. It is important to be aware of this - of how it affects my motivation.
On the last day of my son's school before summer break, a bunch of school moms and I went out to lunch at a lovely light-filled Italian place. From my seat at the table for 7, I could see this. How momentous! I may have missed it if I was seated elsewhere.
I have painted two versions (in the order that I did them) to try and be looser, but it is tricky - quick does not mean loose. Loose does not miss quick - Charles Reid was (yes, sadly, he passed away on June 1 - he inspires me constantly, and affects me constantly) very slow yet his work looked carefree and loose. Negative edges still have to be painted carefully otherwise the white flowers will look like blobs, and I do want the petals defined. That makes it tight then! I am still trying to find a middle ground between being loose but accurate; nonchalant but careful. Again, The Middle Way.



The inspiration:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven