Silicon Valley Open Studios

All the panic of the week leading up to this past weekend, and the accumulated stress, culminated in a fairly calm first day in Belmont, my first city as part of Silicon Valley Open Studios. I asked the husband for help on Friday night, and he came willingly and followed my planned layout to put up my watercolors on the 7 white panels under a large white canopy. It looked very white and light, and the colors of the paintings really popped. A good decision as the framing and matting were all white too.
I got in my Daily Painting too at the end of the day, as exhausted as I was, but only a value study and a first layer with color. Physical fatigue is one thing but I was mentally so wired, so hugely over-stimulated that I just couldn’t quiet my mind and relax my brain. It was a bizarre feeling.

The first day is special - I realized this when I was driving to my open studio that first Saturday morning along with my stress and panic riding right there beside me - and I knew I wouldn’t feel the same way the second day, or even the second weekend at a new location. The first time is just something else. 

Some of the comments I received:
“Soft."
“It’ll make a room, any one of them."     [of my paintings].
"I follow your blog."
“Very light touch."
"I want to have a Tanvi gallery in my home."
"Can you come and make a watercolor of my home?"    [never had a commission!]
"It was such a pleasure to meet and talk with Tanvi -- Lovely woman and fantastic artist. I shall be proud to give one of watercolors as a gift."

So many friends drove from far away and showed up to support me - it was really touching. And the big man William Dunn, from whom I've learned so much and who continues to inspire me, came to see my work and said: 1. I need to be a guest speaker in one of his classes; 2. I need to do a demo; 3. I'm one of his best students. 

Over the two weekend days, I sold four paintings and several sets of boxed cards, and felt very successful at the end of the weekend. The first day, I was too stressed to be relaxed enough to paint, but managed this small painting during my second booth day - of a small stone Japanese lantern with a bamboo backdrop in the yard of the house next door to my booth. The owner of that house bought one of my paintings.


I am questioning, though, what my goal from my art is. Is it to win awards? To reach the widest audience possible that admires and owns my work? To make a business out of it and make money - prints, cards, merchandise? To paint and get better to meet my own high standards? It is good to experience all of these varied goals, to some extent, and see which brings the most pleasure. I have a feeling, though, that I know what will.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven