Progress in hindsight

I look back at the 2 1/2 years that I have been doing watercolor - from the very beginning, when I was scared, afraid of failure, and didn’t even want to start. Today, I can see that I have made progress. In that moment, when I was painting, I was struggling, and the struggles seemed never to end. The result was never as good as in my imagination. But I look back at my paintings, remembering the earliest ones, and I can see that there are jumps and improvements between clusters of paintings. I can measure my progress, but in hindsight. This reminded me of a quote:


Life must be lived forwards, yet understood backwards.
         Søren Kierkegaard 

These are Sharon's orchids yet again, with more playful hues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven