Series

I did this painting last night from a photo I took in Japan last August. I noticed a change in my progress when I looked at the photo: I was aware that I loved the brilliant orange of the rafters and structure. The roofs were grey - but which grey? If the orange is warm, I wanted a cool blue-grey, varied, not constant. This is where water came in to change the constancy.
This was very quickly done - it is almost a study. I was so tired last night, but I had to get in my Daily.
The thought I had after this painting is that I could explore "Roofs" in a series. I have always been fascinated by a series of works - there is a theme, the artist is probably obsessed with that theme over a few days/weeks, and not scattered over many years {I expect}. The first time I had a thought like this was many years ago in New York, before 2016, and before I started watercolors. I was on a boat with my family going to Staten Island, and saw, in the distance, the skyline and skyscrapers. The patterns of windows and curtain walls almost formed a giant quilt, and I thought it would be interesting to paint each pattern, like a swatch of plaid, in a small square, and create many such small paintings, and frame them together. It still lives as a thought. One day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven