Interface

I've been drawn to these asymmetrical profiles - my son made that very acute observation from looking at my paintings over the last few weeks that this reminds him of the other. The Chinese gate from Overfelt Park in San Jose - an asymmetrical profile against the sky; this Japanese entrance gate from Hakone Gardens last Thursday - similar profile against the sky; and another plein air that I did yesterday at the Los Altos History Museum after which he made that observation. I am just starting to realize that the interface of one 'object' against the other is what draws the eye first - the building against the sky, the trees against sky, boats against water - back to shapes. There is no need to draw the whole building if the rest of it is symmetrical - in fact it is more dramatic to find the most unusual shape against the sky and stop when that shape starts to repeat. I haven't tested out this theory with multiple subjects, but my gut feeling is that it will hold true.


      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven