The Big One

After all those studies, I attempted The Painting.
This is the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph in downtown San Jose. A stunning building from 1877. Before starting, I told myself it is yet another study, just on larger paper. Just a study. But a study. Only a study. I like what Frank Webb says about having a fresh stack of watercolor sheets being akin to more tomorrows. The studies can continue....this isn't the end.
I tried to use more water than normal so my color looks more transparent and not so pigmented. I am fairly pleased with this but I think it needs some punch - some spots of dark. I'll let it sit for a couple of days while I attack another study [-ies] and come back to it. I do need to step back more often during painting and evaluate it as a design on the paper - where it's off balance, where it needs more of a certain color, how it sits on the sheet, etc.
P.S. Despite the blooms, this isn't really a floral study.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven