Layers

I was inspired by Iain Stewart's style on his YouTube video/website, and wanted to paint that way - with layers. I used two photos of Scotland to create this scene. I used the background and the variety of buildings from one image, and two boats from the other, and played with values to create interest. This will also serve for the first assignment [theme: Reflections] in Jane Hofstetter's class this Wednesday.
I like the cohesiveness that a limited color palette brings. I thought about the colors beforehand.
I am not too pleased with the reflections - I winged it instead of really understanding how the buildings should/would be reflected. I did draw all the lines but painted haphazardly and irreverently.
Overall, I still like this - and it is the limited colors that carry the painting through - and the looseness is perfect for me.


Comments

  1. Your talent and paintings are as awesome as I remember them, from a cold fall a quarter century ago in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't remain Anonymous! Who is this from my past in Austin?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven