Color scheme - instinctively

I am often intimidated by going on my own to do plein air. I like the structure and the ensconced feeling from the people in the Tuesday and Thursday plein air groups. This morning, I skipped the very far drive to Maison du Lac in Los Gatos [plein air with the group], and also skipped Bolly X! I made my own goal - to do plein air painting at the Los Altos History Museum. I braved it, and went on my own.
Something about this space takes me back to the mid 1980s - to my grandmother's farmhouse in Punjab. The quiet, rural feel, the tractor, the lazy shadows - a beautiful part of my heart and childhood.
I did the little study first, and decided to play up the tractor colors - it really was a bright orange - and subdue everything else and make it a Payne's Gray value study. When I finished that, I realized I had found my color scheme! Payne's Gray, Cerulean, French Ultramarine, with a bit of yellow thrown in here and there for warmth - analogous and complementary to the tractor's true colors. I was so excited that the color scheme just came to me without any effort. I hope this experience repeats itself!
My son later remarked that the color scheme was interesting, and that he remembers the buildings being brown.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven