Nothing is a coincidence

I feel like I've been at a plateau for a while. Sometimes I like my paintings; mostly I feel they're just okay. In my mind, I can paint a lot better than I actually produce on paper :-(
I don't feel like I'm really improving. It's a terrible and frightening feeling when I feel I am regressing. I'm not usually such a pessimist. But I persevere.
This was at Allied Arts Guild in Menlo Park. I cannot believe such a treasure was hiding in our midst. I went with the POPs group to paint there, and Bonnie Joy Sedlak was there. How I love her work! Her website is bookmarked forever in my Favorites folder. She chatted with me for an hour, and gave me lots of tips on how to improve. She said I need to improve my composition techniques. I think that must be it. I am now reading up on composition and value studies [to think that about a year and a half ago, I didn't know what values were other than what I ought to teach the kids] and planning to audit Jane Hofstetter's last class this session, thanks to Bonnie's advice.
I need to go to Allied Arts again. It was breathtaking. I didn't get enough.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven