Horses

Ten days ago, the plein air group went to Coyote Valley Preserve. I got there late, after my BollyX class, and that was normal. Previously, it had never been a problem. I usually join the group late, and because I work quickly [need to slow down - there is NO deadline], I am able to do one or two paintings before lunch, and then be around for the show-and-tell which I really enjoy - the range of work and talent is outstanding. I feel I belong.
This time, however, part of the group had split for "hike and sketch" and a couple of people were by the parking lot, doing their paintings. I felt the lack of groupism deflate me, and I just didn't want to be there. The drive had taken a half hour, so I forced myself to look around for a scene. I drove back along the way I had come, parked by the side of the narrow road, blocking traffic, and set up my chair in front of my car [at the risk of life and limb]. I did these two paintings. Quickly. And left afterwards - before lunch, before show and tell. I was done. I like it when everyone is there, visible, working away.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven