Waiting has never felt better

I was in Cupertino for an hour and a half during my son's chess lesson. I was equipped to draw in pen/ink and paint, and drove up and down De Anza looking for inspiration. The first vignette is of a white building that I have always been drawn to because the shadows look more dramatic on white, and there is more opportunity to play with reflected light on white.
The second painting is of the activity in a car repair shop across from the white building. One of the employees walked out of the shop to where I was sitting. He looked at my sketch, then at the building [which is his daily view from the repair shop] and said that he never thought that building was very interesting!
All four paintings were done with the mini Sennelier travel watercolor set. Very vibrant pigmented colors.



Then, we drove to the San Francisco Ferry Building. After a lunch at Reem's at the Farmer's Market, I painted these two scenes while the family went here and there on a dessert binge, before being picked up. Both these scenes are from Embarcadero, the first one looking north, and the second looking south. In the second painting, I was drawn to the little figure in front of the Muni. He was the driver, apparently on a break, checking his cell phone in a quiet, still moment in his busy day full of movement.


                              "Farmer's Market"

    
   "Taking a Break"






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connected shadows

Faith vs. belief, and inspiration

Design- vs. content-driven